Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Strong to Save [When God Goes to War] Part II

You know the story isn't over.
It could be. I mean, wouldn't it be enough if He swooped in as the Hero of every rescue mission, and picked up broken pieces again, and took them home to heal?
That's already more than we deserve.

But that's not the end of the story. Or the chapter.

He is the Hero of every rescue mission. And there's a reason His exploits come first...

But keep reading till the end of the tale.

He saves the afflicted, simultaneously putting the adversary in his place.
And then!--

He lights a candle. A little flame of light atop a stick of wax strung out.
Fresh home from the smoke and dust of battle, He shares His life.
He puts in the soul a fire, out of Himself, a part of Himself, and with that fire comes all the power that is His. Power to live. Power to overcome. The same power that just sent hills and hoodlums scurrying.

And watch the servant. Watch the flame suddenly catch on, as if he was all oil inside. Watch him fly into the darkness, like an arrow himself. Burning as he goes, consumed, but . . . not consumed.

Watch him run right through the midst of the garrison of darkness, setting the place ablaze. Watch his enemies come to their senses, pick themselves up to follow hard in the trail of smoke. Watch him get to the end-- the dead end. And just when the pursuers think they'll have vengeance at last, watch him leap. Watch him sail over what should have been his death sentence. While his enemies remain, confined by their own fortifications.

Watch him stop on the far side, catch his breath, raise one hand to heaven and say:

"As for God, His way is perfect:
the word of the Lord is tried:
He is a buckler to all those that trust in Him.
For who is God, save the Lord?. . .

It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
He maketh my feet like hinds' feet. . .
He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms. . .

Thy right hand hath holden me up,
And thy gentleness hath made me great.
Thou has enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.

I have pursued mine enemies, and overtaken them:. . .
I have wounded them that they were not able to rise:
they are fallen under my feet.

For Thou has girded me with strength unto the battle. . ."
(Ps. 18:30-39, emphasis mine.)

How can it logically be said that even with unlimited access to unlimited power, we must accept the prospect of limited progress, and perpetual setbacks?

I don't get that.

What I do get, is that when I am His, then I am strong.
And under no other circumstances.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...